Bookkeeping Company Name

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Do you come to my office to work?

A: No.  We work out of our own offices.

Q: What information do you need from me?

A: Basically you need to provide us with any documentation for:

  • Expenses - any money you have paid to operate your business: e.g. services, inventory, equipment...
  • Income - any money you have earned from your business

The usual sources for these are:

  • Bank Statements
  • Check Register
  • Receipts for any electronic purchases - purchases on-line
  • Credit Card statements & receipts if used for your business
  • Copies of invoices showing your sales (if you use them.)
  • Payroll records

Q: Do I need to organize everything before I give you the information?

A: No.  Of course it makes our job easier, which saves us time and you money, if your information is well organized, but you can just hand us a shoebox of receipts along with other information especially if it is an unusual transaction.  We have been working with books long enough to recognize many of the vendors the different industries use.

Many, especially new companies, do not have a well organized system and out of necessity we have become specialists in what we refer to as "shoebox bookkeeping."  We are also able to help set up systems to organize and streamline your record keeping.

Q: How much does it cost?

A: Our services are charged out on an hourly rate with special consideration for larger projects.  Each client and their business is unique, and service has to be tailored to individual needs.  We can usually provide a reasonably accurate estimate based on our experience handling similar organizations to yours.

Q: Will I still need to have a CPA?

A: Yes.  You will need a CPA for taxes and other year end work depending on your situation.  Our services can lower your CPA's bill by making sure your books are in a format he/she needs.  We work with several CPA firms and have a good understanding of the information and the format they need to work efficiently.

Q: What is involved if/when I hire an employee?

A: When you hire an employee you will need to fulfill numerous requirements.  These are too complicated to answer thoroughly here, but they do include:

  • Your company must be registered with the state you are working in to get a business license.
  • You will need a FEIN (Federal Employer Identification Number - sometimes referred to as an EIN).
  • You will have to register with your state's workers compensation department and likely other state departments.
  • You will need to maintain confidential and thorough employee files.
  • You will have to withhold State and Federal taxes, Social Security, and Medicare. These withholdings along with the company's portion needs to be paid periodically during the year.
  • And of course you will have to calculate and pay wages/salaries on a regular and predictable schedule.